(Mild Spoilers ahead)
8 reasons why Petta was less powerful than what it could have been...
1. How much have we missed 'that' Rajini who showed what 'Maaasss' can be and what 'tough' means? #NostalgiaPower
2. How is it possible that we are still able to lap up mashed up 'Main Hoon Na', 'Aegan', 'Baadsha' & even 'Lingaa' (in certain places) as a new dish? #RehashPower
3. How is it that a downright ruffian/rowdy/Robinhood/Misa_detainee from boondocks, gets access to the Prime Minister of India (well, his secretary at least!)? #InvisiblePower
4. How is it that despite a star-cast worthy of three movies still rides on one man - Rajini? Vijay Sethupathy is an exception 😉 #ThalaivaPower
5. How is it that the innocuous nunchaku can take such a lethal avatar? That interval action block was a scream! (And is it true that Rajini taught Kung Fu to Bruce Lee?😂) #MartialPower
6. By showing Uttar Pradesh as a lawless land, is Karthik Subbaraj (and Rajini) sending a not-so-subtle message to the Yogi and BJP? #BrutePower
7. How is it that the mandatory Karthik Subbaraj twist-of-twist at the end is still fresh? #FreshPower
8. Is the message of the movie: "Don't leave accounts unsettled." OR "Keep Calm. Rajini will save you."? #ConfusedPower
Usually tributes are paid to people who are retiring. Here KS seems to have done it to Rajini even when he is active. A clear case of wonder-struck #FanBoy dedication. So much so, even the make-up artist is credited as 'Bhanu (for Rajini Sir)'!!
Rajini carries the movie oh so, nonchalantly. For his millions of fans, this will be the nostalgia trip that they had missed in the last few offerings. Therefore it will be a hit.
Vijay Sethupathy manages to eke out some screen space in the melee. Rest follow the pattern of recent Rajini movies - just caricatures.
KS has a few good touches (having the intro fight in the chapel/prayer hall with the candelabra & blowing off the candles; வீழ்வேனென்று நினைத்தாயோ as opening dialogue of Rajini; the clear professional skill & expertise being displayed by the Pranic healer, the warden and even the rowdies; subtle touches of cow-slaughter; Valentine's day atrocities, the neat chess game in the end...)
But he has failed in the character mapping - even Rajini's Petta Velan/Kaali fails to evoke sympathy/antipathy, let alone others.
Music - Ullaala worked for me. Otherwise, it was a noisy 'Marana Maas' all the way through!
Surelly, 'Kolai Gaandu' (கொலை காண்டு) & 'Sweet Saapida Porom' (ஸ்வீட் சாப்பிடப் போறோம்) will become the next set of punch dialogues among the aficionados. 👍
So there it goes. One-and-a-half time watch. (One time in theatre & when it happens on any of the pay-tv channels, fast forward the slow portions!)
Definitely, you do not have to call PETA complaining that PETTA is torturing poor animals i.e. human beings!
No change to my Top-5 Rajini movies.
PS1: Children went for #Viswasam & the #ThalaFan of our household is all teary-eyed - So much of granny/mother/father/daughter sentiment I believe. Even the villain gets sentimental... #meh 😳
Well, that is for another day!
Well, that is for another day!
PS2: You think that I was writing the review? Nah, I was playing #CandyCrush! )